Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Excited :)

Yesterday, I got trained to volunteer in the neonatal intensive care unit at St. Vincent's. :)  It went great!  There definitely was a lot to learn!
  • We were taught how to use our ID badges to get past restricted doors. ;)
  • We learned how to put together infant oral care bags that doctors use every day.  I have to stuff in 16 tiny syringes, 4 strips of labeled stickers, and 6 plastic cups in each!
  • We were taught how to keep rooms fully stocked with things ranging from gloves, gowns, and bottles, to baby clothes, blankets, and lots more!
  • We learned how to make labels for baby bottles and print different things to stuff in folders for new parents.
The NICU is currently on two floors, so I'm gonna get tons of exercise going back and forth! ;)  In addition to all the above, sometime in late October, I get to be trained as a cuddler!!  That's gonna be an awesome 20th birthday present. ;)  So excited!  They need lots of cuddlers cuz so many of the babies have to be there for many months.  One baby girl has been there for over 70 days now!  There can be 50+ babies in the unit when at capacity.  They melt my heart.  It's hard to believe I was once in an NICU myself when I was born!

I'm glad these Tuesday shifts will only be 4 hours long cuz at the end of training yesterday, my feet were really hurting from the CRPS!  But it's all worth it. :)  This will be a great experience!

I know many of you are probably wondering how my left hand/arm is doing since the nerve block last week.  Well, to be honest, it's kinda hard to say...  Thankfully the pain is still a lot lower than before the block, but the side of my palm is a little swollen again, and my fingers have been getting stiff at night..  But, I'm not gonna freak out. ;)  We'll see what my pain dr. says next month at my appointment.  He has the rest of August off, and I'm so glad that he can have this short break.  I realize more and more how much he sacrifices to help his patients like me.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying this beautiful weather! :)  One of the elders from my church came over this afternoon, and he and I each recited Philippians 1-2 and James 1-2!  My brain is fried now.

No comments:

Post a Comment