Friday, October 2, 2015

Dealing with infection.

Oh I just can't catch a break. :(

Last week, I had to say goodbye to my home care nurse. :(  She changed my central line dressing site and drew labs at my house every single week for 9 months.  Long story short, the home health agency she worked with got bought by a huge company.  She didn't really like all changes involved, so she found a new job.  I'm going to miss her!  She was a very caring and compassionate nurse!

For the past week or so, I started experiencing severe pain, intestinal spasms, and other symptoms near my jejunostomy feeding tube.  The pain's been so bad that I wanted to go to the ER on Tuesday!  Thankfully, I was able to avoid going because my GI surgeon squeezed me in this past Wednesday.  She thinks I have an infection because the whole area is inflamed and bled a lot.  That would explain why I haven't been feeling super great lately.  She had to do a "needle and drainage" procedure right then.  That was so painful, and the needle was huge!  I've been started on 3 days of antibiotics.  If things don't improve soon, she wants to see me back.  She'll order more imaging like an abdominal ultrasound to look into this further.  Praying this gets better because the pain is horrible! :(

I had a total of 5 appointments this week.  Saw Cardiology, and my dr. is pleased to hear that the additional sodium to my TPN helps reduce the dizziness and high rates.  Still haven't had a chance yet to dissolve sodium chloride tablets and flush them through my tube, but hopefully next week!  I see him again in 6 months.

I met my new home care nurse yesterday afternoon.  And so far I like her---she's very easy going and laid-back! :)

The Periodic Fever Syndrome mutation I have is related to a rare auto-inflammatory disorder called Familiar Mediterranean Fever.  And the funny thing is, I'm not Mediterranean. lol  Basically, the gene MEFV is defective and can't regulate inflammation.  My rheumatologist spoke with his colleague to see if she can get me in sooner than January.  She said she'll look at her schedule and try to get me in asap.

I received a copy of my continuous video EEG report, and my neurologist noted that I have diffuse cerebral dysfunction and diffuse "slowing"...  Sounds lovely, right? ;)  Just another finding to add to my long list..

Continuing to rely on the Lord for His help because there's nothing else I CAN do.  He is my rock and fortress!


No comments:

Post a Comment